June 29, 2010

Dream Theater: Progressive Nation Tour

On August 8th of last year, I went to the Brookhaven Amphitheater to see the Progressive Nation Tour. It was an awesome concert, headlined by Dream Theater.

An interesting story is that Dream Theater formed in Kings Park, the next town over from the town where I live. They were a bar band around here during the early to mid-80s. I knew the original members of the band very well. They used to rehearse in the basement of a hair salon and I would join them for a jam session every now and then. I lost touch with them after they made it, but it's amazing to me that over twenty years later, I now go see them playing in big venues. I'm still a big fan of their music and in the arena of Progressive Rock, the world basically hails them as being the best. I am so overjoyed to see them doing so well and I can honestly say, I've seen them play many times, but this last concert was the best ever! There is nothing quite like the energy and passion of great music being performed live. I danced in the aisle and sang along with every song until I had no voice left. I walked out of the venue on a cloud, completely high on the experience. I could barely go to sleep that night because of all of the beautiful energy that I had floating around in my body!






The warm-up band was Zappa Plays Zappa. I absolutely adore Frank Zappa’s music and it was great to hear it being played live again. I had the opportunity to see Frank in concert, but I passed it up and now I regret it.



Today, may your heart beat a graceful rhythm and may all of your dreams be symphonies!

“Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth;
and break forth into singing, O mountains:
for the LORD hath comforted his people,
and will have mercy upon his afflicted.”

~Isaiah 49:13

~@~