June 27, 2010

Yes/Peter Frampton

One of my favorite venues to go for an outdoor concert is the Nikon at Jones Beach Theater. It is situated on Zack's Bay in the Jones Beach State Park. On a sultry summer evening, it is a wonderful place to sit beneath the full moon and stars with a cool breeze coming off of the water and enjoy live music. Last night, I went there to see Yes.

Known for their great musicianship, Yes have been a staple of progressive rock since 1968. For this tour, the band's long-time members guitarist Steve Howe, bassist Chris Squire, and drummer Alan White are joined by keyboardist Oliver Wakeman and featured vocalist David Benoit.

It was an electrifying night! The band tore through a diverse set list of classic songs, including "Yours Is No Disgrace," "Owner of a Lonely Heart," and the progressive anthem "Roundabout." After nearly 40 years of rocking, the band is still a vital entity, performing with raw energy and enthusiasm.




Opening the concert was iconic performer, Peter Frampton. Frampton reached the height of his career in 1976 with the release of his breakthrough double live album "Frampton Comes Alive!" No longer donning his long blond locks, he played a fun set which featured a few unexpected moments, including the Beatles "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and, very surprisingly, "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden.




A personal highlight of the evening for me occurred on line at the pretzel stand. There was a group of Indian people standing behind me: one woman, two men, and a young girl. Soon, I felt a tap on my shoulder; it was one of the men. He explained to me that they had been admiring my mustache and asked if I would mind if they took a photograph with me. I thought it very amusing and I agreed to it immediately. Of course, being that I speak functional Hindi, I took the opportunity to answer them in their native tongue. They were quite surprised and huge smiles washed over their faces. I guess they never expected to befriend a shaven-headed, handlebar mustachio'd man tattooed in Sanskrit who speaks Hindi at a Yes concert. Somewhere out there, an Indian family has a photograph of me and an interesting memory to tell. Experiences like that make life so much fun. Wouldn't you agree?

Shukriya...

"So, whether you eat or drink,
or whatever you do, do all
to the glory of God."

~1 Corinthians 10:31

~@~