August 29, 2010

John W. Engeman Theater


The John W. Engeman Theater opened up a few years ago in Northport, NY. I have always been a huge musical theater enthusiast and I am so happy to have a quality venue right in my hometown. I have visited the theater three times so far.


The lobby of the theater is a piano lounge. As guests enter the building
, they are greeted by the pearly teeth of a baby grand. The surroundings are quite posh: a classy bar with several micro brews on tap, plush seats and curtains that line the walls, ornate chandeliers, several cocktail tables set up with crystal candles burning and carafes full of goldfish crackers. It is quite apparent at first glance that the designers of this place had a lavish experience in mind when they were drawing up the plans. One step into the building and I felt immediately at home.





On October 2, 2009, I went to the theater for the first time to see RENT. I had seen the show on Broadway three times and I was very interested in seeing how it would transfer on to a local stage.



~@~


Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?


In daylights, in sunsets
In
midnights, in cups of coffee
In inches, in miles

In laughter, in strife
In five hundred twenty-five thousand

Six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in the life?

How about love?

How about love?
How about love?

Measure in love


Seasons of love


~@~



The production was great! My first experience at the John W. Engeman Theater was definitely a wonderful one.





I visited the Engeman Theater again on May 30, 2010 for Fiddler On the Roof. I really lucked out with seating. I decided to go on the day of the show and I ended up getting a front row center seat. The theater must have released a few front row tickets at the last minute. That's the only explanation that I can think of because the rest of the theater was sold out.



The role of Tevye was played by Eddie Mekka (best known for his role as Carmine Ragusa on the "Lavern & Shirley" TV show). I was so near to the stage that he made eye contact with me often throughout the performance. His portrayal of Tevye was excellent. I really felt myself transported into 1905 Tsarist Russia. So close to the action, I just reclined in my seat and let the music and acting wash over me. It was marvelous.





I went to the theater for the third time on August 22, 2010 to see Damn Yankees. This may have been the best performance that I’ve seen there yet. The quality of the vocalists for this production was phenomenal. Very powerful singing. The show is very charming with great songs and the fact that it is a baseball-themed musical definitely scores extra points with me. :)





“Trust in the Lord with all your heart,

and lean not on your own understanding.

In all your ways acknowledge Him

and He shall direct your paths.”


~Proverbs 3:5,6


~@~