August 27, 2010

A "Little" Cricket Story

This is the time of year (late-August, with the autumnal equinox looming on the next page of the calendar) when the crickets start coming out in force. I can hear their songs through my bedroom window every night and, in a strange way, they're kind of reassuring.

I had a cricket living in my house for almost a year. Last year at this very time, he appeared on my bathroom floor, a very tiny thing. I have always heard that it is a blessing to have a cricket in your home; they are said to bring good luck. Being a nocturnal creature, I never saw it during the day, only at night it would come out. I meant to pick it up and put it outside at some point, but it really wasn't bothering me so I kept putting it off. He was always there when I would shower, keeping me company as I would dry off and brush my teeth. I quickly got used to it being there and began thinking of it as a companion. Kinda cute actually, with his long antennae tasting the air above his little domed head.

He was there throughout the entire Fall, getting bigger and bigger, and sticking around well into the Winter. I knew then that he was completely out of his season and I couldn't put him outside without killing him, so I resigned myself to the fact that he was a part of my household. Then one day, he vanished. I don't know anything about the life expectancy of a cricket, so I figured that it might have just crawled into the floorboards somewhere and died. I soon forgot about it.

Well, Winter turned into Spring which turned into Summer. Then one sultry evening, I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water. I turned on the overhead light to find the largest cricket that I've ever seen in my life parked in the middle of the kitchen floor. He had gotten so big that I was startled to see him. WOW! After the initial shock, a huge smile came over my face--if having a cricket in your house is good luck, having this one around for a year was a windfall! LOL!

I haven't seen it now for a while, but for the last few nights, a new tiny cricket has been living on my bathroom counter behind the sink faucet. This time, I have no plans of moving it outside.

May your home always overflow with extra-large cricket blessings!


“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
the old has gone, the new has come!”


~2 Corinthians 5:17


~@~