August 23, 2010

Stony Brook University

I want to tell you a little bit about my job. Well, to be more specific, my first job; I'm one of those lucky people who has more than one. I work full-time for SUNY at Stony Brook in the Transit Dept. Our department supplies bus service to the campus.

I report at 5:00AM every morning. Usually, I work in the office; my duties include answering telephones, dispatching, and doing various computer proj
ects and paperwork. It is a good job and the work environment for the most part is pleasant. My coworkers are a group of undiscovered comedians and, although we get our work done quite efficiently, the atmosphere is far from serious.

From my office window, I get the best view of the sunrise. I never pass up the opportunity to stand on the patio with teacup in hand and take in a beautiful morning. It always has a way of setting my day right.



My first task of the morning is to walk the bus yard, writing down the starting mileages from the fleet of vehicles. At that time in the morning, the bus yard is desolate. I walk the yard alone with the only light coming from the moon. It is very spooky. The buses themselves are my only company and being surrounded by those hulking exoskeletons offers little comfort; in fact, it only increases the creepiness. There was one morning last fall when I was doing my mileage duty; the moon was full and I was feeling a little uneasy about it. I was walking between two buses when a raccoon suddenly darted out from under one of the buses and ran right across my feet. I must have jumped 5 feet into the air, dropping all of my paperwork to the ground, and landing on my back. LOL! That was a shock, to be sure. I always keep that moment in the back of my mind when I do my morning tour. :)

Lately, I've had the chance to get behind the wheel of our buses again. Office work is great, but I do enjoy the fresh air and change of scenery that the bus offers. It's as if the entire world suddenly becomes my office and I love it. Students often ask me if it is difficult to drive such a big vehicle, but the answer is "No." A large bus is easier to drive than a car. At least, in my opinion.



I get an hour for lunch every day, though I never eat at that time. I spend all of my breaks at the Sports Complex, using the Varsity Weight Room and the mezzanine track in the gymnasium. The facilities are free to employees and I've been following that routine for 9 years now. It works great for me.

A few weeks ago, the Stony Brook cheerleaders were holding a practice on the gym floor as I was walking the track:

"L. E. T. S. G. O. Let's go! Let's GO!"

LOL! I do believe that their enthusiasm rubbed off on me. I was really sweating that day! :D


Stony Brook University is huge and ever-expanding. I’ve explored the campus with camera in hand many times and I always seem to discover something new.





My very favorite building at SBU is the Charles B. Wang Center. It is a place dedicated to the study of Asian cultures through arts, history, religion, language, business, and science. The exterior of the building features a 100-foot tower that resembles a pagoda. It is an awesome sight that dominates one’s field of vision.


The interior of the Wang Center boasts some fantastic architectural elements—spiral staircases, sky-lighted atriums, terraces, hidden bamboo gardens, a koi pond, even fountains in the shape of the 12 Chinese Zodiac animal heads. It is a place that I come to often to enjoy its peaceful ambiance.








I love the fact that the walls throughout the building are adorned with inspirational words written in Asian characters.



The Fall Semester begins next week and this is always such an exciting time of year. I have to say that I’ve been employed by Stony Brook University for 10 years now and it is a pretty good place to work. Monday through Friday, I am there from 5:00AM to 1:30PM, from there I head directly to my second job. But that, of course, is another story…

“Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm.
Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully
to the work of the Lord, because you know that
your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

~1 Corinthians 15:58

~@~