September 28, 2010

Bowling, Softball, & Poetry

I’ve had the chance to go bowling a few times over the past year. It’s something that I haven’t done in a long time and I predicted that my first foray back on the alleys would go something like this: gutter ball, gutter ball, gutter ball, strike, gutter ball, gutter ball...

I'm happy to say that my prediction was almost perfect, well, except for the strike part. LOL!


All kidding aside, I was actually quite a bit better at it than I thought I would be. I was able to roll a few spares. Then, there was that moment when I put enough spin on the ball for it to hit home in the pocket between the 1 and 3 pins, knocking them all down with a crash that sounded like the most beautiful thunder. Ah, that was thrilling! :)

 
I did even better my second time at the bowling alley. I got 4 strikes, 3 spares, no gutter balls, and a partridge in a pear tree. I even made the bowling shoes look good. LOL!


I've noticed that I do really well the first game and then it's downhill from there. My score drops quite drastically when I play a second game. Oh well. I'll try to build on it the next time I go bowling, which will probably be in three years or so...

It all reminded me of the softball team that we had put together at work last summer. We found out that there was an established league at Stony Brook, so our department decided to put a team together and throw our hats into the ring. We cleverly called our team the "Road Warriors." Someone designed a logo and we had beautiful uniforms and hats made up. It was all wonderful--until we got on the field. We were awful. The season lasted for 16 games and our team lost 16 games. LOL.

But it was fun and we had a lot of laughs. It also felt really good to be involved in sports again, something I haven't done in a really long time. It was great to feel the bat connect with the pitch, sending the impact up my arm, then watching the ball fly deep into the outfield. To run the bases and cross home plate. Ah, so much fun!
 
I also participate in the Annual Jack Kerouac Softball Game. We have two teams of poets: The Northport Zen Tigers, managed by former Suffolk County Poet Laureate George Wallace, and the North Sea Dharma Hawks, managed by current Suffolk County Poet Laureate Tammy Nuzzo-Morgan. It’s a fun game that usually ends in a BBQ and pool party.



Speaking of Poets Laureate, there was a celebration dinner held on May 2 of this year to honor the poets laureate of Suffolk and Nassau Counties. The coordinator of this beautiful gathering asked me to perform some classical guitar for the event and I was more than happy to do so. You can see some video footage of it by clicking HERE. 


 
"Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation."

~Habakkuk 3:18



~@~