September 6, 2010

Happenings at Heckscher Park


Last weekend, as Sunday morning was handing the day over to Sunday afternoon, I headed over to the sports fields at Heckscher Park in Huntington, NY for a classic auto show. I found the baseball diamonds and soccer fields transformed into a world of vintage fenders, glistening chrome, souped-up engines, custom paintjobs, muscle cars, Model-T’s, and hot-rods.











With plenty of afternoon sun still remaining, I decided to take a walk through Heckscher Park. There is a brick path that circles a large pond; fountains erupt from the water’s surface creating delicate ripples and breaking the silence with the sound of steady falling droplets. It is very placid and made me feel at peace.





The pond is home to a variety of wildlife. Swans, geese, and ducks can be readily seen bathing themselves. At one of the overlook points, I spotted several huge turtles, as well as fish and eels.




As I circumambulated the pond counter-clockwise, I passed by lavish gardens, secluded gazebos, and trees with their gnarled roots weaving and protruding from the soft soil. There are a few stone bridges that connect the tiny islands that dot the pond with benches to supply places to simply relax and clear one’s mind.






Heckscher Park also has an art museum on site, many of the larger sculptures adorn the lawns and wooded areas, speckling the landscape with their curious beauty. There is also a band shell where performances are held throughout the summer.




The last scene on the tour of Heckscher Park is the playground—a kingdom of primary colors, monkey bars, tire swings, and toy horses. Something about a place that is perpetually abuzz with the joy of children is very soothing to the spirit.



In the spring, Heckscher Park also hosts an Annual Tulip Festival. Every nook and crevice of the park sprouts with tulips in every color of the spectrum. It looks kinda like this:










May your Labor Day be a walk in the park. Love & light…



"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths;

guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior,

and my hope is in you all day long. Remember, O Lord, your great mercy

and love, for they are from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth

and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me,

for you are good, O Lord."


~Psalm 25:4-7

~@~