September 5, 2010

Stone Temple Pilots

Last night, I got to see Stone Temple Pilots in a concert under the stars at the Nikon Theater at Jones Beach.

Stone Temple Pilots is a band that consists of Scott Weiland on vocals, brothers Robert DeLeo on bass and Dean DeLeo on guitar, and Eric Kretz on drums. The quartet broke into the music world during the highpoint of the Grunge Scene with the release of their debut album, Core, in 1992. The band found immediate success with hits such as "Plush," "Wicked Garden," and "Sex Type Thing." Core went on to be certified 8x platinum. I can recall watching them perform an acoustic version of "Plush" on MTV and thinking that it was magical.


In 1994, STP solidified their place as one of Rock & Roll's top bands with the release of their second album, Purple. This effort debuted at #1 in the United States and spawned a series of radio-friendly hits that including "Interstate Love Song," "Vasoline," and "Big Empty." It is a masterpiece of an album with every song being exceptional.


STP released their third album, Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop, in the Spring of 1996. While it did yield a few hits, I personally didn't enjoy the production value and musical direction on this album and I began to lose interest in the band. Over the years that followed, the group produced 2 more studio albums, though I heard none of it. Then in 2002, burdened with the all too common Rock & Roll problems of drug addiction, legal turmoils, and inner disputes, the group broke up.


Now, after several years of lackluster projects such as Velvet Revolver and Army of Anyone, the original STP lineup is back together with a new album and a cleaned up act. I was very excited when I heard that their tour would be pulling into the Jones Beach amphitheater. I immediately purchased my ticket.


The show was great! The band sounded amazing and put on a high energy performance that had me rocking in my seat and screaming along with every word. They played all of my personal favorite songs ("Crackerman", "Silvergun Superman," "Still Remains," "Pretty Penny") and even surprised me with a cover version of Led Zeppelin's "Dancing Days." Under a clear September sky, Stone Temple Pilots rocked the night! :)








"For the wages of sin is death,
but the gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."

~Romans 6:23

~@~