October 23, 2010

Fall Classics: Chicken Gravy, Bela Lugosi, and the Texas Rangers

Every year at this time, I like to do a practice run of my Thanksgiving turkey recipe with a roaster chicken. It helps me to hone my gravy-making skills before the big show in November. I spent most of the morning in the kitchen, chopping onions, apples, and celery, pan-searing giblets, basting and butter-rubbing the bird. I love to spend some free time cooking. To me, cooking is a beautiful form of catharsis. 

Before long, the house was pervaded by those wonderful holiday food aromas and I was feeling overwhelmed by memories of Macy's Parades and Laurel & Hardy specials on TV--just perfect for a crisp autumn weekend. The gravy came out good (a wonderful, rich color from all of the pan drippings), though I did notice a few flavor adjustments that I need to make for the Thanksgiving feast. A few more seasonings. A little less white wine. That's exactly why I do the test run in October. :)


Some more Halloween crafts were also on the agenda for this weekend. This time it was a paper mache skull and some pom-pom spiders with beaded legs and googly eyes. Such things make me very happy and my foyer table is looking quite festive now. I'm looking forward to giving out candy next Sunday. Being that I am an amateur illusionist, when kids request "Trick or Treat," I take delight in being able to reply, "How about both?" I usually get a lot of guffaws and smiles when I proceed to swallow a sword or pass a lit candle through my arm. Such fun! Of course, I'm quick to remind them that it's all an illusion and not to try it at home...

I also got the chance to break out some of the black & white monster movie classics: Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man, The Mummy... These movies are really quite bad, but have a certain campy charm that is undeniable. It simply wouldn't be Halloween if Bela Lugosi didn't scowl at me from my TV screen at least once. "I bid you velcome." LOL!


And congratulations to the Texas Rangers for advancing to the World Series! I think that they are very exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing them in the Fall Classic (even though they did thwart the repeat bid of my beloved New York Yankees in the ALCS). I wish them good luck...


"I have set the Lord always before me.
Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken."

~Psalm 16:8
 
~@~