October 16, 2010

Halloween Crafts & Old Postcards

Sometimes, when the mood strikes me, I like to take a drive over to Michael's Arts & Crafts supply store just to browse around for an artistic project. The last time I was there, I picked up a balsa wood kit for a car. I spent an overcast afternoon working on it and it came out good. I always say that the simple pleasures in life are the best and I feel very pleased when I create something with my hands.

I went to Michael's again this past Sunday looking to make some Halloween decorations. As I cruised through the seasonal aisles, I found fake pumpkins and spiders and bats--all good stuff for my front yard, but not exactly the activities that I wanted. Then I found it. It was another balsa wood kit for a 14-inch high skeleton, and it was only $2. It wasn't intended to be a Halloween item (I found it in the same section as the model airplanes), but I thought it would be fun. I quickly grabbed it up and headed home, knowing that I was in for another crafty day.

It took me most of the morning to cut out and sand all of the tiny bones. Gluing it together proved to be somewhat of a problem as the frame was very delicate and kept falling apart. By mid-afternoon, the glue had finally cured and I was ready to paint. This was also difficult due to the narrow spaces between the bones that were hard to get to with the brush bristles. After all was said and done, it came out wonderful. I now have a hand-made decoration for my foyer table!


In the evening, I was digging through some dusty boxes that my grandmother had stored away years and years ago. Among the mold spores, I uncovered a small batch of postcards that date back as far as the 1950s. The quality of the old paper is grainy to the touch and the cards smell musty from so many decades of being packed away, but I think that the images they show are fantastic. They have that old-fashioned character and charm that a printing press could deliver in those days. The fact that the pictures appear autumnal in nature also fits in perfectly with my current mood. I don't recognize any of the names on the backs, but I'm grateful to those people who were unknowingly 60 years ago sending me a little treasure that would arrive in 2010 (sort of an unexpected time capsule). I hope you find these postcards as cool as I do. Cheers!








"And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."

~Luke 1:47

~@~