October 21, 2010

"One Monster After Another"

As I was browsing around in the Halloween Outlet store this evening, I was reminded of the title of my very favorite book from when I was a little boy. It's called "One Monster After Another" by Mercer Mayer.

After all of these years, I still have the book and I've kept it in good condition. It tells the story of a mailed letter and the things it goes through to get delivered. The thing that I always loved most about the book is the quality of the illustrations. Beautiful depictions of fairy-tale monsters: the Letter-Eating Bombanat, the Stamp-Collecting Trollusk, the Paper-Munching Yalappapus, the Wild & Windy Typhoonagator... So wonderfully imaginative. I got great happiness out of this book and I must have read it hundreds of times.

There was a time in second grade when each week one of the students had to read in front of the class. When my turn came around, I knew that I was going to read "One Monster After Another." I sat in front of the room, reading my book and joyfully holding up each page so the class could savor the beauty and wonder of the pictures. It was a labor of joy. When I finished reading, the class gave me a thunderous ovation--something that had never happened before during reading time. It felt wonderful. :)

May this evening be a beautiful chapter in the storybook of your life. Love & light…












 
“For in this hope we were saved.
Now hope that is seen is not hope.
For who hopes for what he sees?”

~Romans 8:24
~@~