November 6, 2010

Star Wars In Concert



Well actually, it
was last November
at Nassau Coliseum.
:)


I've been a Star Wars fan for just about as long as I can remember. I can pretty much recite any line from the original trilogy and I'm a whiz when it comes to Star Wars trivia. When I heard that this concert was going to happen, I knew right away that it was for me. That evening, I grabbed my ticket and drove to Nassau Coliseum with the soundtrack to "The Empire Strikes Back" blasting on the CD player. I could feel the enthusiasm in the air as I turned into the parking lot. Just walking around the exterior of the arena before showtime was an exciting event, with all of the Star Wars characters and memorabilia that was set up. As I greeted Jedi Knights, Storm Troopers, and Tuskan Raiders, I felt as though I had become nine years old again, reveling in the fantastic universe of George Lucas.


The concert was narrated by the one actor that remained constant throughout all six movies, Anthony Daniels. It was cool to meet C-3PO without his gold plating; he hosted the evening with charm and humor and took the audience on a journey through the main themes of the saga. 

Though, the focus of the night was clearly on the music of John Williams. The orchestra thundered away through all of the Star Wars melodies. After having watched the movies hundreds of times, these musical motifs have become so familiar to me that it was just amazing to hear them being performed live and at such a high level. The music was powerful and I could feel the vibrations of each crescendo in my chest, filling me with feelings of exhilaration and awe. It was so wonderful to experience Star Wars as a live event. 


Screens behind the orchestra accompanied the music with footage from the movies to tickle the viewers visually as well as aurally. When Darth Vader first appeared on the screen to strains of the "Imperial March," the audience cheered as though Gene Simmons had just emerged on the stage in full KISS regalia. Smoke, lasers, and spectacular lighting effects further enhanced the experience. The was symphonic Sci-Fi and a must-see for any Star Wars enthusiast. After all of these years, to see in a new light this epic that I had grown up with was very exciting and left me feeling absolutely delighted! :)






May the force be with you...

"Do not be overcome by evil,
but overcome evil with good."

~Romans 12:21

~@~