November 13, 2010

Two Years of "Disney On Ice"

As you probably know, during the warm months of the year, I like to take frequent trips to new places and see as many sights as I can. However, when the weather becomes too cool for outdoor adventures, I turn my attention to concerts and performances. For the last two Novembers now, I’ve gone to see “Disney On Ice” at Nassau Coliseum. The theme for this year’s show is Toy Story 3.

My evening actually began in the toy aisle at Target. I had heard that Toys For Tots was going to set up several donation bins in the foyer of the coliseum and I wasn’t going to pass up the chance to make the holiday season a little brighter for a few less fortunate children. I spent quite a bit of money at Target, but it made me happy. I could tell that many people had the same notion because the bins were filled up with all kinds of toys. It made my heart feel all warm and fuzzy. :)

As show time neared, I bought a braided pretzel with gigantic salt crystals (it's one of those things that I always get when I'm at Nassau Coliseum) and a soda and then found my way to my seat.


Shortly after 7:00PM, the houselights dim and all of the Toy Story characters take to the ice: Woody, Jessie, Rex, Mr. & Mrs. Potatohead, Slinky Dog, Hamm, Sarge and the Bucket O’ Soldiers, the Three-Eyed Aliens. The most dramatic entrance of the night comes when Buzz Lightyear is lowered from the ceiling amid sparks and smoke, taking the audience “to infinity and beyond.”













One of the most exciting parts of the performance is the scene when Barbie meets Ken. They do a duet on the ice, both aerobatic and smooth, that ends with an entire kickline of Barbie Dolls. Very fun!



The theme for the “Disney On Ice” performance in 2009 was Celebrations. It was a delightful spectacle that took the viewer on a joyful journey accompanied by all of the familiar Disney characters. From a Chinese New Year, to a Hawaiian Summer, to a Japanese Spring, the movements on the ice were graceful, the atmosphere vivid and enchanting. Elaborate stage set-ups, dramatic lighting, and costumes made the show as breathtaking to see as it was magical and heartwarming to experience. Of course, my foot never stopped tapping to the classic Disney songs. The evening ended with a Christmas grand finale that put me in a perfect mood for the approaching season!











I can't wait to see what Disney cooks up for next year. I'm sure it will be grand. Perhaps I'll bump into you at a performance one of these Novembers. It's a small world after all...

“Be truly glad. 
There is wonderful joy ahead!”

~I Peter 1:6 

~@~