December 4, 2010

Cirque Du Soleil: Wintuk

It's been a week since I've had the chance to post anything here. All of my free time had been dedicated to rehearsing for the Christmas performance at Wizards. I did the show last night and it went great! It was the first time that I've gotten the chance to do a completely Christmas-oriented gig and it's something that I would love to do every year. My favorite part of the night came when I sang a medley of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Jingle Bells," harmonizing Jingle Bells into the key of E minor. It gave a very unusual twist to a popular and bubbly holiday classic. Anyway, now that the show has passed, I can get back to writing here. :)

Last Sunday, I hopped a train into Manhattan to see "Cirque Du Soleil: Wintuk" at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. I had heard a lot of good things about Cirque Du Soleil shows over the years, but never had the opportunity to experience one for myself. Needless to say, I was very excited.


Well, the show lives up to all of the hype! This trip into the winter-world of Wintuk is nothing short of spectacular! The performers show their unusual talents on a stage that is visually dazzling. Giants cranes. Acrobats in dog costumes do lightning-fast backflips on stage-long trampolines. A man gets dressed while walking a clothesline. A juggler juggles eight balls while bouncing them on the floor while walking down stairs. A human rag doll bends her body into shapes that I never thought possible. Stunt cyclists, hoop dancers, a blizzard of snowflake confetti...

I think it's safe to say that this show had me spellbound. 








After Wintuk let out, I took a walk over to Macys. During the Thanksgiving Day Parade, I loved the way the facade of the building looked on TV as the balloons passed in front of the word "Believe." It was very cool to stand in front and see it for myself. There is nothing like New York City at Christmas time, though I am saving my stroll up Fifth Avenue for a weekend a little bit later in December...




"Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."

~Psalm 51:7

~@~