January 11, 2011

Disney On Ice "Princess Wishes"

A huge bag of cotton candy and a seat at Nassau Coliseum for a "Disney On Ice" show -- what could be more satisfying than that on a chilly Saturday afternoon in January?

I first learned about this show back in November (on Cyber Monday, to be exact). I had gone to "Disney On Ice: Toy Story 3" at the same venue just a few weeks before and I wasn't really thinking about going to another one any time soon. However, when I opened the email from Ticketmaster that offered discount codes, I had to change my mind. How could I pass up a Disney show for $16.75? As it turned out, tickets for this performance were the only purchase that I made on the biggest online shopping day of the year.


This is my third experience with Disney On Ice performances and they always know just how to delight. This time around, the theme is "Princess Wishes" and the show is based on the "dreams come true" from the Disney movies. It all begins on a magic carpet ride through the Arabian city of Agrabah where we meet the street urchin Aladdin, Princess Jasmine, and the Genie from the lamp. My heart raced as these characters skated through the marketplace dodging the palace guards with their swinging sabres.






Next, the show shifts to the world of Snow White and Prince Charming. One of the best parts comes when the Seven Dwarfs arrive singing "Hi Ho Hi Ho (It's Off to Work We Go)." It is wonderful to see such a familiar scene being performed live. My foot never stopped tapping along with the tune.





From there, the scenery switches to the "under the sea" setting of the Little Mermaid. Amid the aquatic choreography, Goofy arrives with a boat to pick up some of the young princesses from the audience and bring them out on to the ice amid the action. I thought that it was great that some of the littlest spectators suddenly got to be part of the show. I'm sure it is a memory that none of them will soon forget.





Then, we meet Belle, Mulan, and Sleeping Beauty. A highlight comes when Lumiere sings "Be Our Guest" accompanied by dancing silverware. This part of the performance also features a showdown between the valiant Prince Philip and Maleficent's fire-breathing dragon than is just spectacular!





The show concludes at the castle where Cinderella arrives in a golden coach for the royal ball. Soon, all of the Disney characters appear for an epic grand finale on ice!





I must say that "Disney On Ice: Princess Wishes" is fantastic! If you should get the chance to see it, don't pass it up. It is inspiring and magical. May the rest of your week be filled with beautiful wishes and dreams come true. As the song says, "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes." And they lived happily ever after...

"I will be filled with joy because of you.
I will sing praises to your name, O Most High."

~Psalm 9:2

~@~