February 10, 2011

Couchridden Reflections

I'm happy to report that everything went well with the surgery. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. The most surreal moment came when the hospital attendant brought me down to the Operating Room. I had been laying in pre-op for most of the morning, watching the relaxation channel on a little TV--all images of mountaintops and eagles soaring accompanied by soft flute music. I was feeling very calm; then the nurse came to get me. Rolling through the hospital corridors on a gurney gave me the most unusual sensation of flying. I could hear the squeaky wheels echoing against the tiles, but I was disconnected from the sound. It was almost dream-like. The Operating Room was another world completely. Here, I met four masked people who proceeded to hook me up to all kinds of monitors. As I glanced around the room at all of the medical equipment and devices, I admit that it was a bit intimidating. The surgeon took one look at the screen in front of him and said, "I can see that you're a little nervous." The anesthesia must have kicked in after that because that's all I can remember.

Recovery has been slow so far. Right now, my abdominal muscles are cut up and it's impossible for me to move around without searing pain. I've been pretty much staying motionless on my sofa, even sleeping there in an upright position. It's not very comfortable, but I can't really do much else at this point. This has been my first chance to sit at my computer desk--so far, so good, though I will have to go back to being a couch potato in a few minutes. The best part of this is that it has given me the chance to watch the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in order. Great films! :)



"Those who exalt themselves will be humbled,
and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

~Matthew 23:12

~@~