February 23, 2011

Howe Caverns & Secret Caverns

The Cobleskill area of NY boasts two cave tours: Howe Caverns and Secret Caverns. The entrances to both lie within a few miles of each other and I was able visit each of them during my trip to the mountains. First, I tried out Howe Caverns.

Imagine riding a silver elevator that takes you 156 feet below the Earth's surface. The doors open and you step out into a geological work of art, six-million years in the making. The chilly atmosphere immediately begins to nip at your fingers and the bare calves of your legs. You carefully negotiate the brick paths that run through the cave, marveling at the magnificent limestone formations, stalactites, stalagmites, and flowstone deposits that surround you. Surprises wait at every bend in this vibrantly-lit natural wonder. I have to say that my favorite part of the tour is the boat ride. I took my seat on the gondola-style boat and let myself be absorbed by the prehistoric beauty that popped up all around me...















The second cave that I visited (on a different day) was Secret Caverns. Just like in Howe Caverns, the air is a year-round 52 degrees Fahrenheit with 75% humidity. Secret Caverns doesn't have an elevator, so I found myself plodding a series of damp staircases. I really enjoyed the ruggedness of Secret Caverns; its paths are much less developed than those in Howe Caverns and it really gives a feeling of adventure. The winding paths in this natural wonder house many beautiful features: the Alligator, the Suspended Ceiling, the Cave Monster, and, my favorite, the 100-foot waterfall. I stood beside the falls for several moments, the steady drumming of the water mesmerizing me. I really enjoyed my visits to both caves. This is a kind of beauty that only God could create. Cheers!!!










"For we are God's workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do."

~Ephesians 2:10

~@~