February 28, 2011

National Baseball Hall of Fame

The National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY is a 3-floor museum that takes visitors through the history of baseball from the earliest memories of the sport to the present day. I had seen its familiar brick facade many times in photographs and it was awesome to finally stand in front of the storied building. As I strolled through the front doors, I could feel history washing over me as I thought about all of the baseball greats past and present that have walked through the same doors.

The tour begins in a room called "Taking the Field: The 19th Century." Here, one can find a ball from the very first series of games at which admission was charged, dating back to September 10, 1858. This part of the museum also features the Grandstand Theater, where one can view a 13-minute digital multimedia presentation about the beginnings of the sport. The journey continues through many rooms filled with rare memorabilia, classic photographs, art, and uniforms and equipment used throughout the years.











My Favorite part of the museum is the "Hall of Fame Plaque Gallery." I could have stayed in this room all day, perusing the sparkling golden plaques. Truly a place of great reverence and a must-see for any baseball aficionado!


After having watched my first Spring Training game on TV just yesterday (Yankees vs. Phillies), I am really enjoying the fact that I can conclude my series of Adirondacks memoirs with this post.  Wishing you a week of warm thoughts and sunshine. Play ball! :)







"For the Lord your God is he who goes with you
to fight for you against your enemies,
to give you the victory."

~Deuteronomy 20:4

~@~