March 16, 2011

Nassau County Firefighters Museum

Upon stepping into the Nassau County Firefighters Museum, my nose was greeted by the pleasant aroma of cinnamon. I didn’t know what the rest of the building would have to offer, but at this point my olfactory senses had already been stimulated and I was predisposed to having a happy experience. My joyous anticipation only increased as the gentleman at the ticket counter complimented me on the old-time style of my handlebar mustache. :})

From there, I strolled into a world of red vehicles, dating back as far as the 1800s; a time when a fire truck was little more than a pushcart stocked with ladders and buckets that would either be drawn by horse or by hand to the scene of the blaze. I stood awed by the fact that these machines had once been the pinnacle of firefighting equipment. It was a wonderful display! The tour continued to an exhibit of antique fire extinguishers and uniforms. It was fascinating to see the way that a firefighter’s protective gear has become streamlined through the ages, in the shapes of helmets and face masks, in the light-weight design of axes and tools.












The tour ended in a room of models and film reels showing firefighters in action and a dedication to the bravery of the heroes of 911.



May your next experience bring you cinnamon-scented joy!

“Do everything without complaining or arguing,
so that you may become blameless and pure,
children of God without fault in a crooked
and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars
in the universe as you hold out the word of life.”

~Philippians 2:14-16

~@~