April 16, 2011

Desert Heat & Columbus Circle Rain

Well, this will be my last post for a little while. First thing Monday morning, I will be flying off on a US Airways jet to visit Arizona and the Grand Canyon. I'm so excited. I've been planning this trip since before I had my surgery in February and I have a lot of great things planned. I've been keeping tabs on the weather in Phoenix and the temperatures have been in the mid-80s and 90s. Of course, I will blog all about it in depth when I return. Anyway, the weather this past week here in New York has been quite Springlike as well, with the temperature finally reaching 65 degrees one day (not quite desert standards, but still pretty nice). It gave me the chance to do a little yard work: cleaning up the gardens, ripping out a few old shrubs, and carting away all of the fallen twigs from the winter. I also started a bunch of seeds in peat pots: Sunflowers, Blue Boys, Canterbury Bells, Cosmos, Marigolds, and Tomatoes. It always gives me a feeling of accomplishment when the first seedlings sprout through the soil and I look forward to the time in summer when they will be lushly in bloom in the flower beds that I cultivated.


I was hoping to do a little more work on the garden before I went to Arizona, but this entire weekend is being forecast as a wash out, with heavy rain and winds. I have to admit that I actually enjoy a good T-storm. Thunder has a certain mysterious beauty and dignity that is undeniable; it is almost as if nature is taking a moment out of its day to clear its throat and regain our attention. It’s intense. Conversely, the sound of rain trickling through leaves and down gutters I find to be very soothing, almost meditative. A storm is a marvelous dichotomy of aural stimulation. Have you ever gone for a walk after a heavy rain and just breathed in the world around you? It's as if everything has somehow become new. A fresh atmosphere. Rinsed clean by God. That's the time that I like to lift the earthworms off of the concrete and place them back in their earthy sanctuary beneath the shrubberies; call me a softy, I’m guilty as charged. :)

Last August, I was in Manhattan; I had taken care of some business on 86th Street and decided to walk the 50+ blocks back to Penn Station. I made it to Columbus Circle when it started to downpour. Immediately, the umbrellas started to pop up, looking like an infestation of multi-colored mushrooms in a cement garden; I was the only person that paused a moment to outstretch my arms and turn my face to the sky. The cool rain felt so good on my face in the middle of the muggy city; it was just liberating! After that, the pavement started to steam and it was the picture of urban beauty. Luckily, I had my camera with me (just one of the electronic accouterments that usually dangles from my belt, along with my cellphone and iPod) and I took a few dreamy shots of Columbus Circle. I think they really captured the rainy city experience. Speaking of which, have you ever been to the mall at Columbus Circle? It's very swanky, with its upscale restaurants, shops, and bars. It even has an art gallery on the 3rd floor. Fancy place to stop, if you’re ever in that area.

Anyway, I'll leave you with these photos. Enjoy and have a wonderful Spring Break! Until I post again... love & light...




“This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you:
God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness,
we lie and do not live by the truth.
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another,
and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.”

~1 John 1:5-7

~@~