April 7, 2011

Puppy Love: The Mourning After

Well, these last few days have been pretty tough for me. The passing of a pet is one of the saddest things in the world and losing Delilah hit me very hard. I had some regrets that I didn't get to spend a lot of quality time with her over the last few years and it had me feeling quite a bit of guilt. I started to wonder if she even knew how much I loved her and if I had given her the happy life that she deserved.

Just yesterday, I was driving in my car and I had to pull over to the side of the road when a huge wave of melancholia broke over me. In that moment, I started to pray for Delilah, confessing to God all of my regrets and worries. The answer was immediate: I must stop focusing on what has died on earth and turn my eyes to Heaven so I could see that she now dwells in the house of the Lord. Animal spirits are sent to us to bring blessings into our lives, even from beyond. Delilah knows that I loved her and I should keep on loving her. She is not gone. Love endures.

Instantly, I broke down into a heaving sob that lasted for over ten minutes. With every tear, I could feel my grief washing away and being replaced with joy and serenity. I'm so grateful to have had Delilah in my life for the twelve years that she was here. It makes me glad that I can think about her again with a calm spirit and happiness in my heart. Thank you, God.


"Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted."

~Matthew 5:4

~@~