May 30, 2011

Marching Memoirs from the Month of May

Happy Memorial Day! I wish you every joy on this day as we honor the men and women who have given their lives in military service to the United States. Thank you, armed forces!

I really enjoy this three-day weekend. It is the official starting point for summer events and always gets capped off with a BBQ and a big parade down Main Street. Every year, I take a seat on the grass in front of the bank and watch as the marching bands go by, filling the afternoon with celebratory music -- drum majors twirling their batons, glockenspiels ringing out timeless melodies, trumpets, tubas, drumlines pounding triumphant beats. The sound is powerful and inspiring. Of course, my favorite is always the pipe groups. It is an amazing sight when they stroll down the road clad in tartan kilts and feathered Glengarry hats; the air being pervaded by the unique tone and droning bass of the bagpipes. I just love it.









"To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech."

~Proverbs 8:13

~@~