August 30, 2011

Indiafest 2011

On Sunday, August 7, I headed over to the Huntington Hilton for an event called Indiafest 2011 presented by the India Association of Long Island. By the time I arrived at the hotel (mid-morning), the parking lot was already jammed and I could see people walking about everywhere dressed in colorful saris and salwar kameezes. I stepped into the lobby to find it lined with vendors selling clothing, jewelry, food, religious items, as well as many booths specializing in Mehndi (the art of applying henna to the skin as a temporary tattoo).

I wandered through the makeshift bazaar, stopping often to sample food or to check out some imported goods, and made my way down the Hilton's packed corridors to the main ballroom. The stage set up there showcased a program of traditional Indian dance and music acts. With no seats available, I found a spot to stand along the rear wall where I waited for the next feature, a Fashion Show by International Fashion Designer Sushma Patel. After a few local politicians hogged up the lectern with thirty-plus minutes with incessant pontification, the runway models were finally introduced and sashayed on to the stage amid bright spotlights and lively dance beats. While fashion really isn't one of my interests, I did very much enjoy the experience of seeing such an elegant and beautiful display. Very exotic!








I was so inspired by the sights and sounds of Indiafest that I headed directly from the Hilton to the Kirin Palace for a meal of curry, naan bread, and a drink of Mango Lassi. Namaste!


"Command those who are rich in this present world
not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain,
but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything
for our enjoyment."

~1 Timothy 6:17

~@~