September 2, 2011

What's Bugging Me?

This morning, I had a comical encounter with an octoped. One of them had created a spiraling web masterpiece across my front porch during the night. As I was leaving my house for work, I walked through the center of it. I felt the sticky little threads stretch right across my face. Now, the first thing that goes through one’s mind in such a situation is that there is usually a creepy critter parked right in the middle of such webs. I erupted immediately into the mandatory get-the-spider-off-of-me ballet on my front lawn. Luckily, I leave my house at 4:30AM; I don’t believe that anyone was around to witness my little dance. LOL!

I vividly remember another bug story from when I was in elementary school:

It was recess and all of the kids were out on the playground. It was a season of gypsy moth caterpillars and they were all over. Everywhere you turned, they were crawling up trees and covering the cars. I was standing by the rear door of the school and some other kids had plastic cups that they were using to hold caterpillars. I felt left out of the fun and I said, "I wish I had a cup for my caterpillars."

 An older boy turned to me and said, "I'll get you a cup from the classroom, but you'll have to hold this for me." He proceeded to hand me an object that looked like a large ball of leaves wrapped in a spider's web. Then he darted off into the school. I quickly learned that I was holding some kind of caterpillar nest. They started to emerge from the object in force, covering my hands and crawling up my arms. I wasn't afraid of the caterpillars, but something about the sheer number of them and their thousands of tiny feet walking on my bare skin gave me the creeps.

I don't know why I did it, but the first thing I thought to do was to run into the school, still carrying the caterpillar nest. There were dozens of them on me by now and I just couldn't take it anymore, so I threw the nest down in the school hallway. And it cracked open.

By the time the janitor showed up, hundreds of caterpillars had poured out of that nest and were taking over the hallway. They were climbing the walls and hanging from the ceiling. To say the least, the janitor was none too happy. LOL.

 And I never did get my plastic cup...


 "Come to me,
all who labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest."

 ~Matthew 11:28

~@~