October 8, 2011

Cape Cod, Day 3: "Land Ho!"

August 4, 2010: To begin the third day of this trip, I hopped aboard the Island Queen out of Falmouth and sailed to Martha's Vineyard. The water that surrounds the islands (Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket) is emerald green from a high concentration of plankton and it sparkles in the early morning sun looking bright and lovely. Soon, the boat landed at Oak Bluffs. Right off of the pier, there are many places where one can rent a bicycle or catch a bus to one of the remote corners of the island. I opted to set out on foot and I soon found myself walking through an off-beat shopping enclave called Circuit Avenue. Set amid this hamlet of quirky novelty shops and homemade ice cream parlors is a red building that houses the Flying Horses (the oldest carousel in America). The moment that I saw these antique wooden steeds, my heart felt light and I immediately purchased a ticket for a ride. As the carousel spun, filling the room with its carnival-like melody, I was prompted to reach out to try to grab the passing golden rings.






Just beyond the shopping area are the camp cottage streets of Wesleyan Grove, also known as the "Gingerbread Houses." This quaint neighborhood consists of over 300 Carpenter Gothic style cottages, its centerpiece being the famed Trinity Park Tabernacle. Walking through this idyllic fairy-tale setting is definitely a one-of-a-kind experience.






From Oak Bluffs, I took a VTA bus to Edgartown. Through the window, I watched beautiful stretches of beach passing by. Edgartown is an old whaling port that showcases many buildings constructed by prominent residents in centuries past. I followed a highlighted map on a walking tour through all of the areas of historic and architectural significance. It is the location of the Martha's Vineyard Museum. Another interesting fact about Edgartown is that it was used in Steven Spielberg's 1975 blockbuster "Jaws" as the town of Amity. As I walked these famous streets, I half expected to meet up with Chief Brody.






After taking the ferry back to the mainland, I took a drive over to one of Cape Cod's many themed miniature golf courses, Pirate's Cove. I found myself putting my way over uneven terrain through caves, across rope bridges, behind waterfalls, and over the planks of Spanish Galleons. Each hole showcased an infamous pirate from the past: Captain Kidd, Barbarossa, Long Ben Avery, Jean LeFitte, Henry Morgan, Blackbeard, Ted Lunt, Thomas Tew, to name a few.










My last stop of the day was in the town of Dennis to see the Scargo Tower. Located on Scargo Hill (the tallest hill on the Mid-Cape), this 30-foot tower offers a beautiful overlook of Cape Cod Bay with a view that can reach all the way up to Provincetown and as far west as Plymouth on clear days. The interior is a little bit spooky with its spiral staircase surrounded by cobblestone walls.











"Blessings are upon the head
of the righteous."

~Proverbs 10:6

~@~