October 11, 2011

Cape Cod, Day 4: "Shiver Me Timbers!"

August 5, 2010: Argh! With my homebound ferry's departure time being set at 4:00 PM, I still had a few hours to explore Cape Cod, though the final day of this trip would be chilly and sporadically rainy. After checking out of the hotel and loading my baggage into the trunk, I headed over to Ocean Street in Hyannis. I got wrapped up in a quiet moment as I walked the docks in the drizzle checking out all the fishing boats that lined the pier. It was a very serene setting and the salty mist in the air felt almost calming against my cheeks. It was here at the pier that I found my first activity of the day: a Pirate-themed Harbor Cruise! Aboard a miniature pirate ship called the Sea Gypsy VIII, the group (mostly dressed in pirate apparel) sailed out into the Cape Cod morning where we met up with another pirate ship. With a chest full of booty at stake, a water cannon battled ensued that was an absolute blast! Yo ho ho!


By the time I was disembarking from the pirate ship, the skies had opened up and a steady rain began to fall. Not far from the docks is a park that features two memorials (JFK and the Korean War). I wanted to see both, so I took a walk over to the sight. The monuments are quite lovely, but the rain had become very heavy and I didn't linger for too long.



Next, I took a ride down the road a few miles to the Cape Cod Maritime Museum. Through a series of model ships, dioramas, art, photos, and artifacts, the museum gives its patrons an in-depth look at Cape Cod's rich seafaring history. In the center of the museum, one finds the decayed spines of the Sparrow Hawk, a 17th Century trans-Atlantic vessel.










For my next indoor stop, I went to the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory. The building offers a self-guided tour through all of the stages that go into the making of the popular snack. Watching conveyor belts full of crisp chips passing by the observation window made me feel quite hungry. The tour conveniently ends in the gift shop where one finds a veritable potato chip bonanza, including a few rare varieties such as Robust Russett and Three Cheese. Needless to say, I walked out of the factory with several bags, which I munched on happily during the ferry ride home.




With only about an hour remaining before ferry time, the very last thing I did in Cape Cod was to play a round of golf at an indoor Glow-In-The-Dark course. Oceanic scenery. Brilliant colors. Simple fun. Perfect ending to a wonderful trip. Cheers!!!





"Praise the LORD, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name."

~Psalm 103:1

~@~