November 3, 2011

Avant Garden Poetry Amphitheatre

Since the cat seems to have already been let out of the proverbial bag, I guess it is time for me to write an official post to fill everyone in on the plans that are afoot. If you've already heard this, you've heard correctly--God has called upon me to build a performance venue and His will be done. It is to be called the Avant Garden Poetry Amphitheatre

The Avant Garden is going to be an outdoor stage designed just with the poet in mind. It will feature a state-of-the-art performance shell (with pro audio, dramatic lighting, and a few surprises) surrounded by lush gardens done in a variety of styles--gothic wrought iron trellises covered in roses, textured rock gardens, blueberry hedges laden with sweet fruit, a painter's corner, lawn art and benches, birdbaths overflowing with ice and bottled drinks, bonfire pit, etc. The idea was to build an artistic wonderland of sorts--a place where poetic voices can rise to the stars and flourish in a one-of-a-kind setting.

I spent the entire summer working on the landscaping. Although it was a tremendous amount of labor for one person, I did it in joy and I'm happy to report that I was able to get all of it finished. Construction on the performance shell will commence at winter's end. If everything goes according to plan, the Avant Garden Poetry Amphitheatre should be up and running sometime in the Spring of 2012. There will be more news to come, so stay tuned. 

And oh, for a little bit of poetic November fun, I wrote an 11-line acrostic titled "Elevating Eleven" which I've scheduled to post on my poetry blog at precisely 11:11 on the morning of 11/11/11. I also happen to have a gig that night so I will get to perform the piece it's one and only time. The thought makes me giddy. Love & light...


"For it is God who works in you
to will and to act in order to fulfill
his good purpose."

~Philippians 2:13

~@~