November 19, 2011

Daily Curveballs

At this point, I am going to share an odd fact about myself that no one knows--I always hold an imaginary baseball in my right hand. I like to face my day as though I were pitching a game. The way that I grip the ball depends on the situations that arise. 

For instance, if a pressing issue pops up that requires me to do my absolute best, my hand will automatically go to a 4-seam fastball grip. If I need to look at something differently, my hand will go to the curveball. If I need to slow things down, it's the circle change-up. In this way, I can pitch my way through the day. Sometimes, I will even stop whatever I am doing to go into a windup and deliver an invisible pitch. It's the same when I'm driving. I like to rest my hand on top of the steering wheel where I can continuously throw my fastball down the highway when traffic is moving smoothly. I'll use a curveball grip on the wheel when going into a turn. 




Of course, the best part is that it is a constant physical reminder to me that, in the game of life, I am a finesse pitcher, not a power pitcher. Sometimes, when a situation turns tense, my first temptation might be to fire my hardest fastball right at the opposing batter's chin, which would be wrong. In such a case, all I need do is feel the imaginary ball in my hand and I know that I have the option to go with an off-speed pitch. It's a much better choice and it makes the whole scenario look different.


Speaking of baseball, congratulations to the St. Louis Cardinals for coming out of nowhere during the last few weeks of the 2011 season, advancing through the playoffs, and going on to become the World Series champs. Great story. To me, it serves as a reminder that nothing is impossible. Love & light...


"But if from there you seek the LORD your God,
you will find him if you look for him with all your heart
and with all your soul."

~Deuteronomy 4:29

~@~