November 29, 2011

Long Island Festival of Trees

On Sunday afternoon, I went out to an event called the Long Island Festival of Trees at the Cradle of Aviation: Air and Space Museum in Garden City, NY. I wasn't sure about what kinds of activities this festival would offer, but, upon pulling into the museum's parking lot, I saw a large group of people in ballet costumes checking in at a side entrance and I knew at the very least that it was well planned.

As I stepped into the building's lobby, I found row after row of designer Christmas trees donated by various organizations. Each of the trees was put up for auction with all proceeds going to the United Cerebral Palsy Association. I marveled long at the creativity and care that seemed to be put into every bough. The trees were done in different themes and I had several favorites such as the Empire State Building Tree, the Dragon Tree, Santa's Red Suit Tree, the Mardi Gras Tree, and the John Deere Tree (which appropriately included a snow blower in the auction). On the lobby's second and third levels, a holiday craft fair was set up with booths selling Christmas decorations, jewelry, toys, and confections. It was a fine place to take one's time and browse.









Toward the rear of the museum, an entire Gingerbread village lined a corridor that led to a back room where guests were able to partake in various crafts such as cookie-decorating and sand arts. Each gingerbread house was also elaborately decorated and made available for purchase to benefit the charity.




In the museum's cafeteria, a stage was constructed to host a daylong program of acts by various dance groups and choirs from Long Island. I really enjoyed the interesting harmonies of some of the traditional holiday songs that I heard being sung. A big salty pretzel and an iced tea completed the moment.



Along with the entrance fee into the Festival of Trees, I got free admission for the Air & Space Museum. I couldn't resist the opportunity to take another walk through the history of flight. It is always cool to see all of these old photographs and historical aircraft.









To finish up the day's activities, guests were invited to take a complimentary ride on Nunley's Carousel. As I went around in circles on my noble fiberglass steed, listening to its tinny carnival melodies, I felt utterly relaxed. It's Christmastime again and everything is alright...


Jesus turned, and seeing her he said,
“Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.”
And instantly the woman was made well.

~Matthew 9:22

~@~