November 25, 2011

'Tis the Season to Be Jolly!

It's official. As soon as I saw Santa Claus come to town aboard his festive Macy's Parade float on Thursday morning, I knew that my favorite season of the year had finally arrived. I had a most wonderful Thanksgiving Day. From the turkey gravy to the chestnut stuffing to the candied yams to the sparkling apple cider, everything was perfect. I really got into the whole spirit of gratitude. I feel very thankful to God for making this life so good.

Well, today was Black Friday. I already finished all of my shopping and I'm glad that I won't have to be involved in any of the holiday rush. My Christmas season will be all about joy, goodwill, peace, and love; all about honoring the birth of Jesus and celebrating in all the ways that I enjoy; not one bit about anything commercial, exactly as it should be. So, with no reason to head out to any stores for door-buster sales, I spent this morning decking my halls. My heart always feels so warm when I'm taking the red and green storage boxes out of the garage. I have lots of ornaments for the Christmas tree, some of them very old. One of my favorites is the Hallmark Apollo Lunar Module. It plugs into a light strand and every time the tree gets lit, I can hear Astronaut Alan B. Shepard report from the moon to Mission Control, "We sure picked a clear day to arrive. There's not much of a haze in the air at all. Incredible. It's really a wild place up here."






To finish off my evening, I went to the Second Annual Huntington Harbor Parade of Lights. I had also gone to this event last year and it was cool to see how much it grew. Lots more spectators. Lots more boats. I had a slight mishap when I lost my footing on a slippery boat launching ramp and I ended up sliding through a pool of fishy slime. Even though I was wet and pretty foul smelling, I still enjoyed the whole atmosphere. The boats looked great and the crowd burst into a chorus of Jingle Bells at one point. So much fun!







"I know that there is nothing better for people
than to be happy and to do good while they live.
That each of them may eat and drink,
and find satisfaction in all their toil—
this is the gift of God."

~Ecclesiastes 3:12-13

~@~