December 13, 2011

NYC Christmas 2011

On Saturday morning, I hopped aboard a westbound train so I could spend the day taking in all of the festive sights that Manhattan has to offer during this time of year. Once I pulled into Penn Station and emerged from the LIRR tunnels, I took a taxi up to E. 60th St. and 2rd Ave.; I figured I would begin my holiday tour with a Frozen Hot Chocolate at the famous Serendipity 3. However, when I reached the place, I found a huge group of people standing around outside and a sign on the door that read "3 Hour Wait." I immediately began thinking about how much more refreshing a Frozen Hot Chocolate would be in the summertime. LOL.

So, with Serendipity 3 checked off of the day's itinerary, I opted to begin my city trek at two stores that are very familiar -- Dylan's Candy Bar and then, after walking those colorful aisles and filling my bag with sweet goodies, FAO Schwarz. I'm always amazed to see what kind of new life-sized Lego creations they've made at the renowned toy store. This year it is the Statue of Liberty, Indiana Jones, and Captain Jack Sparrow.






Then, it was on to Fifth Avenue to see the holiday window displays. I always look forward to seeing the creations at Bergdorf Goodman. This year, they really outdid themselves -- mosaic underwater scenes with sparkling fish, zebras made entirely out of folded paper, brilliant collages of metallic colors and textures, fascinating juxtapositions of unusual objects such as moose head and crystal chandelier -- the imaginary worlds that they construct are always fantastic!






As I continued down Fifth Avenue, I stopped in at St. Patrick's Cathedral, though a service was going on at the time and it was far too crowded to look around. Next, I took a look at the bubble-themed windows at Saks before crossing the street to the giant Norway Spruce with the Swarovski star on top that stands in Rockefeller Center. This scene always takes my breath away. It is an absolute Christmas classic!




From Rockefeller Center, I strolled over to Broadway for dinner at Mars 2112 ("Mars" because the restaurant is decorated to look like you're having a meal on Olympus Mons and "2112" because someone obviously has good taste in music). After taking a simulated ride aboard a flying saucer, guests arrive at the red planet's dining room. While their menu is pretty standard, it is the atmosphere that makes this place a fun experience.





Before heading back to Penn Station, I made one last stop at Macy's to check out their window displays. Absolutely beautiful. My annual holiday walk in Manhattan has really become a big part of this season for me. It always makes my heart feel so good. Love & light... 




"Wherefore seeing we also
are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,
let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth
so easily beset us, and let us run with patience
the race that is set before us."

~Hebrews 12:1

~@~