December 23, 2011

TSO Winter Tour 2011

Wednesday, December 21, 2011: This is the seventh December in a row that I've gone to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I can remember many a cold walk through the parking lot to the Nassau Coliseum gates for their concerts, though this year it was a rather balmy and somewhat drizzly evening. Also different this time was an added second performance, 4PM and the usual 8PM. While the the thought of the early show did have some appeal, I opted to stick with the latter. I know from plenty of experience that a TSO concert is an epic 3-hour affair, so I wasn't at all surprised when I pulled into the parking lot at 7:00 and had to wait on a line outside while the clean up crew got the venue ready for the next performance. At that point, I was glad for balmy weather. When we were finally let in, I stepped into the arena to find it still filled with smoke from the pyrotechnics of the earlier show. I knew that I was about to witness another spectacle.


Before the show officially began, a few members of the band came out on to the stage to donate a check to local charities. TSO always gives one dollar from each ticket sold to the causes. Next, the audience got to be part of a pleasant moment when one of the stage hands called his girlfriend up from the crowd, got on one knee, and proposed to her. The ovation was massive! :)


Soon, the show began. Amazing vocalists. Tight and powerful instrumentals. Tremendous stage show and lighting. A few surprises, such as the inclusion of a rocked-out version of the "Linus & Lucy Theme" from the Peanuts. Year after year, this performance gets better and better. Last December, when I wrote about Winter Tour 2010, I highly recommended going to a Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas concert and I'm sticking to those words. This show really fills my heart with Christmas spirit. It is an absolute phenomena!














"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid."

~John 14:27

~@~