January 31, 2012

Friday at the Rink

On Friday, the school district sponsored an evening of skating at the Dix Hills Ice Rink. While I attend "Disney On Ice" performances every year, ice skating was an activity that I had never actually tried myself. I was definitely game for this event.

After I had turned in my Doc Martens and laced on the rental skates, I took a very wobbly walk across the lobby to the ice. The rink is very brightly lit and the high white ceiling of sturdy support beams is an impressive sight. There were lots of people already skating, so, without pause, I stepped through the plexiglass doorway on to the ice. Instantly, my two feet slipped in opposite directions and my hands fumbled for the side wall which I would cling to for dear life for the next five minutes. As I looked around, I saw kids moving gracefully across the ice at high speeds and I built up my courage to try it again. First, I had to get my balance and stand on the skates on my own. Once that was done, I was finally able to move across the ice, albeit at the pace of a molasses-coated slug. It was fun and I started to get the hang of it, though after about 45 minutes, my feet, ankles, and calves started to hurt a lot. By that time, I had made my way to the opposite side of the rink and the doorway looked as though it were a mile away. Overall, an evening of ice skating was a cool way to spend a Friday night. Cheers!





"Therefore,
my dear brothers and sisters,
stand firm. Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord,
because you know that your labor
in the Lord is not in vain."

~1 Corinthians 15:58

~@~