January 28, 2012

Lasermania Spectacular

Last Sunday morning, I discovered an advertisement in the newspaper for a laser show at the public library. For me, a trip to the library is usually a pleasant experience, so I figured I would go to the event and then spend a little time just browsing around the aisles. My library has a great catalog of foreign films and I always seem to leave with a stack of DVDs in hand. This trip would be no different. I spent several nights this past week reading subtitles.

Anyway, I have been to the library's lower level many times for various poetic events that have taken place there, though this was the first time I had ever been there purely as a spectator. As I flashed my library card to the attendant and entered the performance room, I became very curious about the large rack of electronic devices that I found set up in the center of the room. I recognized a few power amps and mixers, though some of it was not familiar to me. I took my seat as the show's host began giving a brief explanation and demonstration. I learned that the word "laser" isn't an actual word at all; it's an acronym for Light Amplification by Simulated Emission of Radiation. It's an interesting factoid, though the actual scientific breakdown behind it wasn't engrossing enough for me to iterate here.

Soon, the lights were dimmed and the lasers lit up the screen with images and effects that were synchronized to current pop songs and show tunes. It was a fun environment and the people in the audience were quick to clap along with every beat and sing along with the words. It was a very enjoyable 45 minutes of ear and eye candy. Very colorful. :)











"Never be lacking in zeal,
but keep your spiritual fervor,
serving the Lord."

~Romans 12:11

~@~