February 28, 2012

Flight of the Red Baron

Last March, while strolling through the novelty shops in Northport Village, I found a most amazing Red Baron kite. It looked so wonderful on the shelf that I just had to bring it home with me. I stored the box in my closet with the intention of taking it out in the summer to fly, but I got so involved in the garden work that I was doing that I ended up forgetting all about it. 
 
This past Friday night, a big storm passed over Long Island bringing with it lots of rain and heavy winds. In its wake, NY was left with a very blustery weekend. While conditions were sunny and clear, gusts were reaching upward of 25 mph with a nasty chill factor. As I was looking out of my living room window on Sunday morning at the crisp world outside, four words popped into my mind: "Go fly a kite!"

As I pulled the Red Baron out of its dusty hiding place and began the assembly process, I found that the kite was much nicer that I had remembered it to be--great wingspan and details. I took my time attaching the tail, string, and support rods before taking it out to the trunk of the car; then I was off to the school yard. The ground was still a little bit mushy from the rain, but that wasn't going to stop me. I held the Red Baron in one hand over my head and ran as fast as I could until the kite launched straight up into the air, its 12-foot tail streaming gracefully behind. I let out yards and yards of string and it soared high into the afternoon air, looking majestic against the open blue sky. The string tugged hard against my grip from the strong breezes. I was able to make the kite do all kinds of aerobatics, quick swoops and nose dives. The Red Baron stayed aloft for a good hour and would live to fly another day. Today, may your imagination glide on beautiful zephyrs. Love & light...





"But they that wait upon the LORD
shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
they shall run, and not be weary;
and they shall walk,
and not faint."
 
~Isaiah 40:31
 
~@