February 25, 2012

The Golden Age of Video Games

A few days ago, I got caught up in a moment of nostalgia for the video games of the past. It prompted me to do a Google search for "Atari 2600." The moment a picture of that familiar game console and joystick popped up on my computer screen, I was instantly taken back to the late 1970's. I was seated in my room in front of the TV passing the hours wrapped up in games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, Air/Sea Battle, Haunted House, Breakout, Circus Atari, and many others. My favorite Atari game was always the medieval goblet quest called "Adventure." The dragons are classic! Granted, the graphics of those games are quite primitive, but something about the innocent simplicity of it all is absolutely enchanting.













Nowadays, with two jobs, I don't really have the time to get as involved in video games as I once did. I do own a Wii and an Xbox and I enjoy playing some of the games, though I am unfortunately one of those people who gets vertigo from modern 3D game graphics. I can't play many of the newer titles without getting a severe headache. I also won't partake in any of the countless games out there that are overly violent and gory. That's not entertaining to me. I do like the simple PC games that are created by Popcap (Plants vs. Zombies, Zuma, Peggle) and Angry Birds is cool too, but I still say that the Atari 2600 of the late-70s was the Golden Age of Video Games. Everyone had it. Everyone talked about it. The release of a new game (such as Pac Man) was a hotly-anticipated event. I recall going to the store and seeing an entire wall covered with those familiar Atari boxes and being so excited. It makes my heart feel good to think about it. I guess I'll end this video game post with a picture of my profile avatar from the Xbox system. It's a rather accurate likeness. Cheers! :D


"Submit yourselves therefore to God.
Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.
Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts,
ye double minded."

~James 4:7-8

~@~