February 14, 2012

Hearts, Triangles, and Other Shapes

Happy Valentine's Day!

Ah, that feeling is in the air once again. Baseball season is just around the corner. Pitchers and catchers officially report to training camp in 5 days and that's when I really start thinking about the change of season ahead. Although this has been a mild winter by all accounts, I am still anticipating those warm, green days of spring. Those outdoor activities. Of course, I will have a lot of yard work ahead of me in the near future, though I am very much looking forward to it.

At the end of last year, I posted an idea for my summer trip called "Due South: Road Trip 2012," but, after looking into my finances (with the construction of the Avant Garden Poetry Amphitheatre on the horizon), a cross-country trip that culminates with a week in Disneyland just doesn't seem feasible at the moment. Perhaps in 2013. So, with that in mind, my summer plans have morphed into a new agenda that I'm calling: "The Pennsylvania Triangle - Version 2.0." This will be another 3-point journey into the Keystone State that will take me to the Poconos, Gettysburg, and Lancaster -- an afternoon exploring the rushing waters at Bushkill Falls, a visit to Scranton/Wilkes Barre to see the Triple-A Yankees, a jaunt into the Civil War atmosphere of Gettysburg. It all sounds lovely to me...




Other than that, I stayed home sick for a few days last week and it afforded me the opportunity to engage in a little bit of artwork. I was able to finish up three new paintings. Hope you like them. I also started thinking about what kinds of poetry performances I would like to give once the Avant Garden is up and running. I have four different types of shows in mind. The first one would be an extended version of the "Whitman Sampler" that I did at Super Poem Sunday. It would run for perhaps an hour and a half and feature dramatic interpretations of many of Walt's classic pieces with music and theatrical flourishes mixed in. Secondly, "The Poe Show." I can imagine the writings of Edgar Allan Poe working beautifully under the proper lighting with some eerie stagecraft, especially around Halloween time. "Once upon a midnight dreary..." You get the idea. The third one is something that I had planned to do years ago when I was the host at the Solar Cafe -- Allen Ginsberg's "Howl." I had it about 60% memorized, though I'll admit it was quite tricky. The fourth show would be an evening of my own material. I'm really excited by the possibilities. Soon. Very soon. Cheers!

"Fantasia in J Sharp Lydian"


"Bebop at the Seahorse Cafe"


"Gambit Oasis"


"Therefore,
get rid of all moral filth
and the evil that is so prevalent
and humbly accept the word planted in you,
which can save you."

~James 1:21

~@~