February 21, 2012

Jambalaya & Django

Happy Shrove Tuesday! Well, right now it is officially Mardis Gras time in Louisiana. I've heard tales that it is the most unabashed, non-stop party on the planet. While those kinds of raucous antics aren't really my style anymore, I'll admit that I've long dreamed of hopping an airplane down to New Orleans just to experience the atmosphere. I would love to see the historic French Quarter and take a carriage ride through its 100 blocks of arts, fine dining, shopping, and music while viewing all of the French and Spanish inspired architecture, the creole cottages and wrought iron fences. One evening, I would love to sit on a balcony overlooking Bourbon Street eating Cajun cuisine as the sound of jazz trumpets caresses my eardrums. New Orleans has always sounded like such a mysterious and enchanting place, to be sure.

As I was thinking about it on Sunday morning, I got a craving for Jambalaya so I looked up a recipe online. I always get a wonderful feeling inside when I'm taking a morning walk to the market to get the ingredients for special dinner. It is as if the trip to the grocery store is part of the tradition and it somehow makes the meal a little bit tastier. I strolled through the aisles as if on a cloud: Andoiulle sausages? Check. Jumbo shrimp? Check. Cayenne peppers? Check...




After a little bit of food prep and some cooking, I sat down at my kitchen table with a bowl of spicy comfort food. It made me all warm inside. To accompany the meal, I chose to listen to the music of Django Reinhardt. The sounds of his gypsy guitar set the perfect mood. It was beautiful. May your week be filled with peaceful moments and comfort. Cheers!




"I sought
the Lord and He heard me,
and delivered me from all my fears."

~Psalms 34:4

~@~