March 17, 2012

Sláinte!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! While I can't claim to be Irish, I admit that I love to join in on this day's festivities. Every year, I look forward to having that delicious meal of corned beef, cabbage, and soda bread. Back when I was in High School, I bought a CD of traditional Irish folk songs called "Celtic Magic" and I have played it on St. Patty's Day ever since. It sets the right mood for the feast.

Last Sunday, I drove over to Huntington Village for their annual St. Patrick's Day Parade. I heard that it fills up fast, so I arrived there an hour early, but still had to park the car very far from the parade route. When I finally walked over to the main part of the village, I found the sidewalks already packed with people. There was a really fun vibration running through the streets; green clothes and Leprechaun hats were everywhere. I saw many faces painted with shamrocks. The sunny skies were ideal for this great atmosphere.


After about a half hour of waiting, the procession rounded the corner and I quickly found out why this is such a popular event. There were marching bands, bagpipers, uniformed men and women of the armed forces, firefighters, dancing troupes, Cub Scouts and Brownies, antique automobiles, motorcycles, costumed characters handing out candy, ballooned floats. Everything that I would ask for in a parade. I sat on the curb for 2 hours, watching as this colorful cavalcade passed before my eyes. It was amazing!















"Do not lie to each other,
since you have taken off your old self
with its practices and have put on the new self,
which is being renewed in knowledge
in the image of its Creator."

~Colossians 3:9-10

~@~