April 4, 2012

Early Birds & Hidden Treasures

Two weeks ago, I saw an advertisement for the Early Bird Special at a local farm. They were offering 6 yards of classic mulch for $99 during the month of March. It sounded like a great deal, though I actually had no idea exactly how much mulch there would be in 6 yards. I had a lot of ground to cover; I wasn't sure if it would be enough. After placing my order, I was more than a little bit surprised when I returned home from work the next day to find a veritable mountain dumped on to my driveway. I've been hauling it around by wheelbarrow for the last two weeks now. It's been a big job, though the flower beds are looking really clean and the perennials are popping up everywhere. It's nice. This year, I am finally getting to see the fruits of all the work that I put into the yard last summer and it's a very satisfying feeling.

While redoing the property, I came across a few surprises hidden in the nooks and crannies of the gardens, including several huge chunks of broken concrete. During clean up, I put all of the pieces into a box that ended up sitting in the yard all winter. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do, then, last week, I got the idea to transform the jagged cement shards into garden jewels. I spray-painted them with bright, summery colors and spread them around the gardens as focal points. They are really interesting and whimsical. The yellow ones look kinda like cheeses. Next week is Spring Break. I'm going to be off from work for nine days starting Saturday and I'm hoping to get a lot more stuff done in that time. Cheers!




"Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find; knock and the door
will be opened to you."

~Matthew 7:7

~@~