May 19, 2012

Danse. Tanz. Danza. Dance!

Every year at this time, I pay a visit to my former High School to attend a dance recital put on by Anita's Studio of Dance and Theatre Arts. It is a very important thing to me to give support to young people who are expressing themselves creatively through the performing arts. They always give an inspiring show and it makes me feel good to watch it.

It also gives me a chance to browse around my old stomping grounds and reminisce a little bit. It takes me back when I see the spot in the Commons where I used to sit and play my acoustic guitar during lunch periods. It's also interesting to see the way that things have changed. The old AP Music room is now a teacher's lounge. The place where my locker once stood is now a sport's trophy display case. Down by the music and art wing, there are wonderful portraits painted on the concrete walls of Miles Davis and Arnold Schoenburg. Even as I stepped into the auditorium, memories washed over me of playing in the Senior Variety Show -- the house was packed, my guitar was cranked up, the song was Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll." It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long... Ah yes, it has been a long time.


The theme for this year's dance recital was "Anything Goes." This time around, I decided to get a seat in the balcony which gave me a bird's eye view of the action. I am always so impressed at the coordination of the shows -- dance number after dance number, all different, appearing seamlessly on the stage. It is an amazing thing to watch. This year, my favorites dances seemed to be the ones that featured the Latin rhythms, though the entire show was top notch once again. I think it would even have made Cole Porter smile! :)










"Do not love the world
or anything in the world. If anyone loves
the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For everything in the world -- the cravings of sinful man,
the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does --
comes not from the Father but from the world. The world
and its desires pass away, but the man who does
the will of God lives forever."

~1 John 2:15-17

~@~