May 30, 2012

Memorial Merrymaking

For me, this Memorial Day weekend was completely rocking! As you already know from my previous post, I spent Saturday in Greenport at the Tall Ships Festival. That was a good time, though the 3 days of fun were far from over. On Sunday evening, I went out to a well-attended party to celebrate the release of George Wallace's latest book "Incident on the Orient Express" at an Indian restaurant called the Curry Club. The event was held appropriately enough in the restaurant's train car turned dining room. It provided the ideal setting for George's travel stories, which bring the listener through places such places as Nepal and India. As I sat listening, my experience was greatly enhanced by the flavors of Lamb Achari, Naan, and Mango Lassi; I even got to speak a little bit of Hindi with our waiter, Ravi. Aapse milkar bahut khushi hui. After the poetry, I spent the rest of the night in the restaurant's Velvet Lounge. There was a DJ spinning some classic vinyl albums and an artist finger painting a large piece on the patio. It was a cool vibe.

Monday morning, I rose to another warm, sunny day and I went outside to do some work in the gardens. It felt good to be wearing shorts again. From all of my time spent outdoors so far this year, my skin has already taken on that golden brown hue. Around noon, I started to notice a steady stream of buses pulling down the main street and I knew the Memorial Day Parade was getting ready to kick off. I dropped my shovel and gloves, grabbed my camera, and walked up to the bank where I took my spot on their lawn under some shady trees. Soon, the High School marching band passed by filling the morning air with loud brass and drums, the song: "You're a Grand Old Flag."



The day was so beautiful that I decided to give my car its first hand wash of the season. The familiar lime scent of the Turtle Wax soap is a wonderful reminder of summertime and the mist from the garden hose was really refreshing on my face. I couldn't help but to hold the nozzle over my head and completely dowse myself; a few neighbors got a chuckle, but it felt great! :D

After having a BBQ dinner, the evening was so warm and clear that I though it the perfect opportunity to test the lighting system for the Avant Garden Poetry Amphitheatre. As dusk was rolling in, I spent an hour running wires and hanging lights. When I finally flipped the switch, the stage glowed like a box of sapphires and rubies set afire. Oh, how magnificent! The Grand Opening is only 10 days away; I can hardly wait. I only hope that the weather will be as beautiful as it was this past weekend. Love & light!


"The Lord thy God
in the midst of thee is mighty;
he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy;
he will rest in his love, he will joy
over thee with singing."

~Zephaniah 3:17

~@