September 22, 2012

Down On the Farm

After my very eventful ride east, the rest of my birthday was an absolute pleasure. Under azure skies streaked with wispy clouds of white, I rolled my wheels on to Sound Avenue. The row of farms and wineries that make up this strip of road were all very lively with weekend activity. It seemed that there were festivals and live bands everywhere and it all looked fun, but my GPS was set for the Hallockville Museum Farm for their 32nd Annual Fall Festival & Craft Show.

Upon entering the vast grounds, I found myself smack in the middle of a good old-fashioned country fair. There were craft vendors selling everything from jewelry and candles to baked goods and kettle corn. In the Naugles Barn, the Peconic Ruggers Guild was showing a display of their fine rughook work. There were antique car exhibits, livestock pens, and hay mounds filled with romping children. There were demonstrations on decoy carving, basketweaving, quilting, and boat building. There was a bumpy hayride that took its guests on dirt roads through sunny fields of wildflowers. By the picnic area, the East Bound Freight Bluegrass Band entertained an audience with music that featured fiddle, mandolin, banjo, guitar, and thumping bass. I really enjoyed the whole setting.









The festival also offered free tours through the 1765 Hallock Homestead and Barn. I always get a kick out of seeing surroundings from a different period in time. 






My favorite part of the festival was the Tractor Pull & Show by the Long Island Antique Power Association. These old machines roared into life and showed that they could still pull up to 9,000 lbs of blocks across a field with ease. It was exciting!




To finish up my birthday, I had a delicious platter at a sushi restaurant and a cake. It was a very good day. Cheers!



"Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest
if we do not give up."
 
~Galatians 6:9

~@~