October 16, 2012

Bird Pumpkins & Farmer's Markets

One of my favorites things about the autumn season is getting to see all of the farmer's markets that pop up in almost every town on Long Island. Early on Saturday mornings, I love to browse around the stalls and look at all of the freshly-picked produce. I can definitely appreciate all of the hard labor that the farmers put into the land and the bounty that they harvest is always spectacular. This past weekend, I went to the market at Tanger Outlets in Deer Park. I bought some yams, green beans, butternut squash, eggplant, peppers, and apple cider. Along with all of the fruits and vegetables, this one also had a booth of homemade breads and pretzels. I got a provolone roll that would prove to be delicious. The market always makes me feel very inspired to do some country cooking. Soon, I'll do my pre-Thanksgiving gravy test run with a roaster chicken. I'll probably bake the yams and whip up a recipe for brown-sugared butter that one of my co-workers gave me. That will be so good...









After I was finished shopping at the farmer's market, I made a dash to a "pick-your-own" pumpkin patch at a local church. There were a lot of kids out with their parents selecting the family pumpkins. I really loved the beautiful energy that was in the air. Very happy. I got a few pumpkins in different sizes, some colorful gourds, and three pots of chrysanthemums to adorn my front steps.


Back at home, I broke out my painting supplies and started on the pumpkin crafts. Last year, I turned my pumpkin into a frog and it ended up being a hit on Halloween. This time around, I decided that an Angry Bird pumpkin was in order. It came out looking really good. I can't wait to put it on the front porch for the trick or treaters! So much fun! Cheers!


"But godliness with contentment is great gain. 
For we brought nothing into the world,
and we can take nothing out of it."

~1 Timothy 6:6-7

~@~