October 27, 2012

Doug & Maria's Big Fat Poetic Wedding

Saturday, October 20, 2012: At 3:00 on this sunny afternoon, I got dressed up in my best suit and headed to the St. Anthony of Padua Church in East Northport to witness the marriage of my friends Doug and Maria. I had a really good feeling inside when I stepped into the church vestibule and saw the bridal party getting lined up to make their entrance. The bride looked stunning and the groom very happy. I said a quick "Hello" to everyone and continued into the nave where I saw many of the faces that I'm used to seeing at poetry events sitting among the pews. It was really nice to see the poets in a different setting and all dressed up in their finest.

It was a very lovely ceremony. I got choked up as I watched Doug and Maria make their vows before God and exchange their rings. Another beautiful moment came when a marvelous rendition of "Ave Maria" was sung by Tara Kavanagh. It gave me goosebumps. I also really liked seeing the bride and groom showered with rose petals as they exited the narthex. The pink petals against the bricks in front of the church made for a beautiful photograph. I also took some pictures of the stained glass windows after everyone had gone.




At 6:00, everyone drove over to the Smithtown Landing Country Club for the reception. The cocktail hour featured some very delicious finger foods, fruits, and cheeses. Soon, a string quartet entered the room and launched into Mozart's "Eine Kline Nachtmusik." That bubbly melody really set a wonderful tone for the evening. Next, the guests walked over to the main hall. With ornate chandeliers and a beautiful topiary on each table, I was taken by the opulence of this ballroom the moment that I stepped through the door. Then, it was dinner, a rich Viennese hour, and lots and lots and lots of dancing! So much fun!




Both the groom and his mother gave the gathering touching moments when they recited poems that they had written for the occasion. I was so inspired that I composed a short wedding poem of my own and jotted down on the front of my gift envelope. I do hope that Doug and Maria liked it. I wish them a lifetime of happiness and blessings! Love & light...



"Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices
with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes,
always perseveres. Love never fails."

~1 Corinthians 13:4-8

~@~