October 13, 2012

GLICCC

There are some days when my job is really cool. Last Friday, I got sent on a charter to Bethpage State Park for a GLICCC (Greater Long Island Clean Cities Coalition) convention. It was all about clean energy and alternative fuels. My task was to represent Stony Brook University by bringing one of our hybrid buses to the event. I got there at roughly 7:00AM and parked the bus among many other vehicles that all ran on different forms of power: solar energy, electricity, natural gas, hydrogen. While the convention was going to be an all day affair, it wasn't starting until 8:30. I had some time to myself, so I decided to take a look around the grounds. Bethpage State Park is home to five world-class golf courses. After getting a cup of coffee in the posh clubhouse, I started walking on the paved trails that are laid out for the golf carts. I had never been on a golf course before and I must say it is a marvelous sight. The sun had just broken over the horizon and golden light was glistening over the rolling green hills dotted with trees. The land seemed to go on forever. In some places, the paths ran through woods. As I stepped into these shaded areas, I found golf balls by the dozen. I walked for about an hour and it was great exercise.







There were lots of people out playing golf that morning. I have no game when it comes to golf (I swing a club more like a baseball bat), but I can see why people enjoy the sport. The flight of a well-struck golf ball is a beautiful thing. It travels far and seems to almost defy gravity.


For the rest of the morning, I would stay with the van, answering questions for some of the people who were browsing around. In the afternoon, I was invited in to the conference room to hear the keynote speakers. Here, I got to meet Governor George Pataki. I liked a lot of what he had to say about local government's efforts to implement more responsible usage of resources. In the town of Smithtown, the entire fleet of garbage trucks is now powered by natural gas and a filling station has been constructed. I applaud the forward thinking. This was quite an uplifting day.



"I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living."
 
~Psalm 27:13

~@~