December 5, 2012

Brian Setzer Orchestra: Christmas Rocks!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012: It was to be a very hectic day for me. I woke up in Guyana at 2am. After taking two flights, clearing Customs and Immigration three times, and sitting through a two-hour layover in Trinidad, my airplane arrived at JFK at 1pm where I found my 85-degree tropical weather replaced by a wintry mix. I arrived back at my house at around 3:00. By this time, I was severely jet-lagging and wishing that I could have idled the evening away, but that wasn't to be the case. After a quick unpack and clean up, I was in the car headed to the NYCB Theatre at Westbury to see the great Brian Setzer Orchestra in a show called "Christmas Rocks Extravaganza!" It had been a very long time since I had been to a concert at this venue and I was looking forward to seeing it again. Formerly known as the Westbury Music Fair, the theatre features a round stage that rotates. There is no bad seat in the house. It's really an excellent place to see a show.


Even though I was quite a bit tired from a full day of travel, I still had enough energy in reserve to enjoy the toe-tapping holiday fun brought by Brian Setzer and his big band. Brass sizzling. Stand-up bass thumping. Signature Rockabilly wailing on the guitar. It was cool to see Mr. Setzer boasting his familiar Pompadour hairstyle and a beautiful array of glistening Gretch guitars. He played through a high-octane set of songs from his album "Dig That Crazy Christmas," some holiday classics, and selected hits from his days with the Stray Cats including "Rock This Town" and "Stray Cat Strut." It was a concert that oozed with coolness.







The opening act for the evening was a group out of Los Angeles called Totsy. With their porcelain doll-like image and unique vocals and instrumentation, I very much enjoyed their set. I'd love to hear more of them in the future. This was a really exciting night all around and it definitely got me into a Christmas mood. I'm happy to have gotten the chance to see BSO this year; the next holiday concert that I will be attending will be TSO on December 15. Cheers!



"So I say, walk by the Spirit,
and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 
For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit,
and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.
They are in conflict with each other,
so that you are not to do whatever you want."

~Galatians 5:16-17

~@~