December 20, 2012

Christmas Crafts and Connecticut Cares

Over the past two weeks, I've been engaging in some arts and crafts with the kids. Saturday morning took us to a factory in Deer Park called Curiously Creative Candles. I had seen an online advertisement for "Make-Your-Own Candles" and it sounded like a lot of fun. It was sort of like doing sand art projects only using granulated wax of different colors and scents instead of sand. They came out looking like layered kaleidoscopes in glass jars. We're going to give the ones we made as gifts. I've also gone over to the elementary school twice to help out with class projects. Both times, the craft was a snowman. One was an ornament to hang on the tree. It was made out of tissue paper, foam, and googly eyes. The other was made out of tube socks filled with rice and adorned with all kinds of things. I really enjoyed making the crafts with the kids and the mood in the classrooms was very festive. The nicest thing that I noticed while at the school was the "Mitten Tree" that stands in their main hallway. It is covered with hats and gloves donated by the students for people in need. How wonderful! After I saw it, I immediately went to the store to pick up a few pairs of mittens to give to this excellent cause.





Being at the school amidst all of these children aglow with holiday cheer, I couldn't help but think that this was probably the same type of setting in which the tragedy in Connecticut occurred. It makes me so sad to think of the unimaginable heartache that the people of Newtown must be going through, the lives that were cut so short; it is truly horrible. My prayers definitely go out to them. May God watch over them and may they take comfort in knowing that their children are safe in Heaven. As for the gunman, I don't want to see this person glorified any longer. At one time, there may have been something within him that was worth saving, but he gave up on it the moment he pulled the trigger. His mental condition excuses nothing; during his life, I assure you that he heard the truth and was given the chance to be free. Unfortunately for him, he chose to leave this world not as an imitator of Jesus, his ego surrendered, but as an irate vessel of his own Narcissism. He is very much accountable for the things he did. All there is to do now is to turn our backs on evil and eradicate him from memory. The media may report what it will, but I for one don't need to hear anything more about his personal habits or possible motives. The details of his life aren't worthy of being known. His name doesn't merit perpetuation. It's a complete injustice for a killer to gain notoriety in the wake of monstrous acts and, worse still, I feel it dishonors the innocent victims. I mean, what is society's lesson in all of this? Murder kindergartners and you too will be immortalized? Wrong. Instead of false fame, this guy's fate must be one of total obscurity and the same should hold true for anyone else who decides to shoot up a school. That's all I have to say about that. Peace.


"I have told you these things,
so that in me you may have peace.
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart!
I have overcome the world."

~John 16:33

~@