December 8, 2012

Extra! Extra! Newsday Lights Up Season!

Every weekend through the month of December, Newsday is hosting a Holiday Lights Festival at their printing plant in Melville. It is a walk-through winter wonderland that features over 100 lighted displays, an ice-skating rink, and a visit with Santa Claus.

I have always enjoyed the drive-through displays that I have seen, so I decided that this was one that I definitely wanted to check out. Last Saturday evening, with a cup of hot chocolate in hand (complete with a mound of whipped cream and some red and green sprinkles on top), I strolled on to the Newsday grounds to be met by the sound of Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad" playing over the loudspeakers. The first sight that came to my wondering eyes was the glow of a baseball diamond somewhere at the North Pole. The elves were on the field. Santa was up at bat. Over the din of the music, I heard the announcer call the pitch. Then, the crack of the bat...

As I ambled further around the complex, I found scenes of dinosaurs in joyful prehistoric settings, holiday helicopters with parachuting elves, yuletide trains pulling into glistening depots, gingerbread men, teddybears, snowmen, reindeer, Christmas villages, and fountains made of pure light. All of this surrounded one central tree topped with a giant, shining star. I really dug the luminous atmosphere; it left me wishing that there had been more of it to explore.










Back at home, I felt inspired to set up my own outdoor decorations. My house is now completely ready for Christmas. To finish off the evening, I took out my old baking stone and made a homemade pizza pie. It didn't come out looking like one from a pizzeria exactly, but it was quite delicious. Wishing you a happy weekend! Cheers!



"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse,
that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,”
says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open
the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing
that there will not be room enough to store it."

~Malachi 3:10

~@~