December 24, 2012

Glory To the Newborn King!

Have I mentioned before that I love Christmastime? There is nothing else on Earth like the season in which we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. I love the fact that strangers feel free to greet each other with smiles. I love the Nativity scenes that pop up in every town. I love driving through the neighborhoods and seeing so many houses illuminated with holiday cheer. I love sitting beside the sparkling tree playing carols on my guitar. I love watching "It's a Wonderful Life" with a cup of hot chocolate in hand; it makes me cry every year. I love dropping dollars into every red kettle that I pass. I love finding Pfeffernusse and Egg Nog and Candy Canes and Panettone on the market shelves. Sure, stores are crowded and there are a lot of cars on the roads, but I don't view any of that as being a problem at all. I'm not in any kind of a rush. It's all beautiful to me.

I want to tell you about one last Christmas event that I attended. Earlier in the week, another one of my good friends from work, Jimbo, suggested that I check out a show called "The Night the Angels Sang" at the Upper Room Christian World Center in Dix Hills. I was easily sold on the idea, so I bought tickets for the Saturday show at 2:00. It was amazing! The Gospel of Jesus was represented in a performance that had it all -- Broadway-quality singing, dancing, and acting, live animals, costumes, spectacular stagecraft. I got completely wrapped up in the majesty and emotion of it all. This was a perfect way to spend the weekend before Christmas. It really captured the reason for the season in glorious detail.  












Another thing that I really love about the holiday season is the greeting cards that the mailman brings. Here are some of my favorites from this year. Wishing you a stocking full of joy and a hearth full of love. Enjoy your celebrations! May God bless you! Merry Christmas!










"When the angels had left them and gone into heaven,
the shepherds said to one another, 'Let’s go to Bethlehem
and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.'
So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby,
who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word
concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it
were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up
all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned,
glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen,
which were just as they had been told."

~Luke 2:15-20

~@~